Saturday, September 12, 2009

noticias

Alerta! I'm now heading to Valdivia tomorrow! I managed to get a bit more time off, so I can enjoy my extended vacays. I'll try to have internet access, but it's unknown...

Today I headed out to Casablanca for las fiestas costumbristas- basically, a traditional Chilean ramada or family-oriented gathering. Despite minor transportation issues, my friends and I managed to get there OK, and we were able to enjoy their offerings: lots of animals, cueca (the Chilean national dance), and games. They were showing off goats, pigs, an enormous sow, and cows, as well as bunnies in a cage. There was a game where kids of varying age ranges chased a pig around in his pen until he got tired and they could trap him with their hands, etc. They also had 3-legged races, and couples showed off their cueca moves while local musicians played some decent cueca music. Empanadas and vino abounded, especially because Casablanca is in the heart of the wine valley. They showed off local artesanía, and were selling local wool and handcraft products. All in all, it was a good time, and a nice escape from the typical paseos in Valparaíso and Viña.

Friday night was a work party for the dieciocho and we also ate empanadas- SERIOUSLY, the best empanadas of my life. For those who aren't familiar with veggie empanadas, they are almost always made with a croissant-like dough (very buttery) or fried in gross oil (gross). There aren't many options for empanadas al horno, baked in the oven, so that I don't feel bad about the fact that basically all of my food that I eat is some variety of bread and cheese. BUT, last night I ate a (OK, 1 1/2) cheese empanada that was baked al horno and had four different cheese varieties, including ricotta cheese! I haven't had ricotta cheese in forever! Most of the cheese ones just have melted, cheap cheese, but this was a delicious blend and it was like taking a bite of HEAVEN. There was also (claro), vino tinto, pisco, and other various drinks.

Now I need to begin organizing some things for Valdivia. Kuntzmann miel, here I come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time! We look forward to hearing all about it. I hear they have a great chocolate store.... and a couple of breweries.