Saturday, July 18, 2009

the foxes eat better than i do

Quickly, I have returned from La Campana, where I camped overnight and hiked up the mountain in the morning. The summit is closed to gringos because several died recently and it's bad diplomatic policy to allow them to continue to place themselves in danger, but I was able to hike up to the mine, which was a considerably challenging hike. The best part was seeing two foxes- one I saw at night while roasting "marshmellows" with highly convenient cookies- a thin, wafer-like cracker with chocolate on top (perfect for s'mores)- and I saw the other fox at the top, where the mine was. The fox came up super close, and even ate the end of my cucumber! I have pictures- I'll send them soon.

Today was a day of morning rain and afternoon paseando along the beach. Tomorrow will probably have time to get my fox pictures up!

But this is basically just to say that I'm still OK, that the mine didn't swallow me up, that my 4-day weekend is treating me just beautifully.

besos to all, with grande abrazos.

1 comment:

Rachel Stoler said...

I bet my hike can kick your hike's butt...
Think 95-100 degree heat on a completely exposed mountain with little to no shade and some serious dehydration. No foxes, but definitely lizards. PS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8150000/8150333.stm