Potato soup: potatoes, nonfat milk, broccoli, peas, artichoke, onions, garlic, flour, topped with basil, rosemary, and cheese
mmmmm I do love the fact that most delicious produce comes from Chile, and is henceforth cheaper here.
I'm enjoying my classes more, mostly because my students are fascinating technical people who largely work in the port in Valparaiso, boarding the ships and checking the refrigerated containers (reefers) and checking to make sure that all of the produce arrives in the ports (they regularly send produce to Seattle!) in good condition. This means that the containers have to be perfectly tuned up to the exact temperature to make sure that slightly unripe grapes arrive in Seattle mostly ripe, but still hard and crunchy, just like most American consumers like them. Avocados are sent almost completely unripe, and are shipped in less cold containers to allow them to ripen (they ripen faster). Apples just need to stay crispy, wine needs to be carefully checked, and expensive cars can't be damaged along the way. I've been interested in the trade chain of food for a while, and this is an interesting step I don't know much about. I have another student who works in a more supervisory position, and he taught me about the different ways that Chile exports copper: in bars, in sheets, in dust form, in blocks. And I saw photos from his phone! For someone who enjoyed her International Political Economy classes, this is a pretty cool experience.
I'm posting pictures from my trip to Maitencillo, the beach town just north of here. Note all of the stairs leading up the hill, and the beautiful bay. Just north of there is Cachagua, where you can see Humboldt penguins. Nanny and Papa, I bet this sounds familiar! The other red and blue (that was really orange and grey) sunset was in Reñaca, just north of Viña (closer than Maitencillo) where Alvaro works. Also, check out my brocooli and raddish plants growing!
besinis for everyone!

3 comments:
Those are some seriously beautiful pictures! I especially love the sunsets. You realize that I am now the only non-educator in the family at this point....
Love and miss you lots. Wish we could be there for a certain important event in nine days...
wearing your old blue and white floral tank top you gave me to work today. i'll keep you posted on how it goes.
yesterday, one of my kids defined hibernation as "when the bear has to get all of his ingredients for winter ready" and in the next breath, asked if animals taste any different after they hibernate. a good question, but interesting segue from his first.
Mish!
I just (finally) got caught up on your blog! Amazing stuff you're up to!
The work in the clinic with the women's rights and the birthing information sounds fantastic. Keep me posted please! I would love to hear more... e-mail?
Good luck with the teaching, it sounds like you and I are teaching very different groups of people (both in age and culture), but we should still be able to share some stories of hilarity of the classroom!
It was lovely to chat for a bit this morning. We should do it again soon... either gmail or skype chat works for me.
All my love
xoxo
PS. Your sprouts are adorable!
Post a Comment