A few updates, in unimportant order.
a) I had my first run in with Chilean law enforecment. I know, you're thinking, what?! But no worries, I paid them off with some cash and all was fine. No, actually, there was no bribing nor offering of free English lessons invovled. I'll tell you my crime: I got into a colectivo (shared taxi). Now technically, what happened is that I crossed a street on a green light and got into a colectivo that was waiting at the red light. I did the typical flagging down of the colectivo (I've previously mentioned that I've an expert) and he made the appropriate, yes-please-enter-and-hand-over-$450-pesos gesture. Now, apparently, it's illegal to enter colectivos or micros in non-marked stops, or paradas. I usually wait at paradas because it's easier to flag down the drivers (they get into the right lane to scan around for passengers), but this was even more convenient, and it happens all the time! But apparently this time there was a policeman (aka carabinero, aka paco) behind him, and he immediately gestured for my driver to pull over. After interrogating the driver and examining his license, colectivo information, etc. the paco began to ask me questions. At this point, I discovered a key advantage: I could understood his questions, but I could easily pretend not to and feign (well, it wasn't really feigning- I really didn't know it wasn't LEGAL to get in colectivos that weren't in paradas!). So I explained (in my best imitation of my Spanish circa 2 years ago) that I wasn't from around the country, that I had no idea of the issue, and that the driver really shouldn't have let me in the car if this was the case. Everyone seemed pretty satisfied with this response, including the guys in the backseat who were already in the colectivo when I got in who were mad about the delay. All in all, the delay was about 5 minutes, and I got to my night class just fine.
b) I started volunteering at a new place! I've only been for a few hours, but it's an organization that works with local kids doing workshops on art, local history, theater, etc. My favorite part is that they have a community garden- and I might be in charge of it! They already have cilantro GALORE, garlic, kale, lettuce, spinach, raddish, and some medicinal plants. The volunteer in charge is going home in a month, so I might take over, which would be kind of sweet (minus the lack of experience or real technical knowledge part). Speaking of gardening, my raddishes actually have red bulbs now (!), though my broccoli still is young. I made rosemary potatoes with my rosemary, and Alvaro made a delicious salsa with cilantro, parsley, a little bit of the chives that survived, and a bit of oregano. And the best part- mojitos with the mint! So hopefully I'll have more gardening updates, both from mine, and my to-be adopted garden with the kids.
c) My new class is so-so. I'll update more soon, but let it just be said that there is a ventilation specialist who spent an hour dominating the conversation about how the internet caused his heart attack because of contaminated air particles.
Summer has arrived, unofficially. But the air is warm even without direct sunlight, and I work up a sweat walking uphill to come home. So I think that counts.
Love to everyone at home
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Just under seven weeks until Home gets to see our much-missed lawbreaker! Can't wait...
The Internet similarly caused Mia, the woman I'm researching with, to get pregnant. They should chat.
Out of our graduating class at UPS I never thought you would be the future outlaw! Besides your run-ins with the law, I'm officially incredibly jealous of your Chilean lifestyle. Gardens and good food sound so glorious.
If we ever get it together and have our latin american reunion, I'm definitely coming to visit you because Chile is 100 times more interesting than Honduras.
I love the dream by the way - funny and not creepy. And I think the cowgirl outfit is appropriate for my honduran lifestyle.
OK last thing - the Juticalpa Rotary club is headquartered right next to my house here! It makes me gag everytime I see it :)
Post a Comment